MEDASSET is seeking a dynamic part-time Field Officer at its Central Office in Athens, Greece.
Closing date: 7 November 2016
MEDASSET – the Mediterranean Association to Save the Sea Turtles – is an international environmental non-governmental organisation (NGO) founded in 1988, working for the conservation of sea turtles and their habitats throughout the Mediterranean. It is involved in conservation and scientific research programmes, public awareness, environmental education, conservation initiatives and lobbying decision-makers. (For more info: www.medasset.org).
MEDASSET Greece joined the ‘Healthy Seas: A Journey from Waste to Wear’ initiative, as a local partner in 2015. The initiative aims to recover disused fishing nets from both land and sea and to regenerate them into high-quality ECONYL® yarn, which is subsequently turned into brand-new products such as socks, swimwear and carpets. http://www.medasset.org/our-projects/healthy-seas-initiative/
The Field Officer will be in charge of the planning, management and coordination of the Healthy Seas Initiative in Greece.
He / She will report to the MEDASSET Director and to the Healthy Seas Project Coordinator in the Netherlands and will perform the following duties:
• Day to day coordination of the Healthy Seas Initiative in Greece
• Report regularly to both the Healthy Seas Project Coordinator and to MEDASSET’s Director
• Ensure that the project is delivered on time and within budget
• Help shape the reputation of Healthy Seas at local and European level (when the opportunity presents)
• Prepare and implement the yearly Action Plan
• Increase and ensure stakeholder involvement by a) maintaining contact with existing partners in Greece, (with particular emphasis on divers and fishermen), and b) the recruitment of new ones
• Explore partnerships with other organisations
• Provide material in support of promotion and communication activities
• Contribute to fundraising, seeking potential new partners
• Be available to travel within Greece on a regular basis visiting dive sites, aquaculture enterprises and fishermen’s associations
• University degree preferably in Marine sciences, Biology or related field.
• Fluency in Greek and English (oral and written)
• Valid driver’s license
• Communication and IT skills
• Relevant experience as a Field Officer for an NGO (ideally environmental)
• Diving certification
• Track record of: ability to make effective decisions under time pressure; clear and concise reporting; capacity to work independently; strong organizational skills
Applicants are requested to e-mail their CV and cover letter to [email protected] with “Healthy Seas Field Officer” in the subject line.